- •TVT IRIS Registry 1-year composite outcome results differ from those of the TVT RCT.
- •TVT IRIS Registry tube and trabeculectomy failure rates are not significantly different.
- •Trabeculectomy failure rates are not significantly different between the 2 TVT cohorts.
- •Tube failure rates are significantly higher in the TVT IRIS Registry than in the TVT RCT.
- •Reasons for failure rates may be non-Baerveldt tubes, greater severity, or differences in clinical practice.
- Budenz DL on behalf of Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study Group. Treatment outcomes in the tube versus trabeculectomy study after one year of follow-up.Am J Ophthalmol. 2007; 143: 9-22
- Brandt JD on behalf of the Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study Group. The tube versus trabeculectomy study: design and baseline characteristics of study patients.Am J Ophthalmol. 2005; 140: 275-287
- Evidence-based ophthalmology series and content-based continuing medical education for the journal.Ophthalmology. 2000; 107: 9-10
- Evolving indications for tube shunt surgery.Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2018; 58: 135-144
- Use of various glaucoma surgeries and procedures in Medicare beneficiaries from 1994 to 2012.Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 1615-1624
- Practice Preferences for Glaucoma Surgery: A Survey of the American Glaucoma Society.J Glaucoma. 2017; 26: 687-693
- Glaucoma treatment trends: a review.Can J Ophthalmol. 2017; 52: 114-124
- Real-world evidence: a comparison of the Australian Herceptin Program and Clinical Trials of Trastuzumab for HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer.Pharmacoeconomics. 2016; 34: 1039-1050
- Clinical experience with the Baerveldt glaucoma drainage implant.Ophthalmology. 1995; 102: 1298-1307
- Intermediate-term clinical experience with the Ahmed glaucoma valve implant.Am J Ophthalmol. 1999; 127: 27-33
- Trabeculectomy for open-angle glaucoma in phakic eyes vs in pseudophakic eyes after phacoemulsification a prospective clinical cohort study.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014; 132: 69-76
- Trabeculectomy with mitomycin C in pseudophakic patients with open-angle glaucoma: outcomes and risk factors for failure.Am J Ophthalmol. 2006; 141: 652-659
- Comparison of results of initial trabeculectomy with mitomycin C after prior clear-corneal phacoemulsification to outcomes in phakic eyes.J Glaucoma. 2013; 22: 52-59
- Three-year outcomes of trabeculectomy and Ahmed valve implant in patients with prior failed filtering surgeries.Int Ophthalmol. 2020; 40: 3377-3391
- Comparison of long-term surgical success of Ahmed Valve implant versus trabeculectomy in open-angle glaucoma.Br J Ophthalmol. 2009; 93: 1504-1509
- Long-term outcomes of Ahmed glaucoma valve implantation in refractory glaucomas.Am J Ophthalmol. 2007; 144: 893-900
- Intraocular pressure control after implantation of an Ahmed glaucoma valve in eyes with a failed trabeculectomy.J Curr Glaucoma Pract. 2016; 10: 97-103
- The Ahmed versus Baerveldt study: 1-year treatment outcomes.Ophthalmology. 2011; 118: 2180-2189
- on behalf of the Ahmed Baerveldt Comparison Study Group. Treatment outcomes in the Ahmed Baerveldt comparison study after 1 year of follow-up.Ophthalmology. 2011; 118: 443-452
- The 2016 American Academy of Ophthalmology IRIS Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight) database: characteristics and methods.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 1143-1148
- The tube versus trabeculectomy IRIS Registry study: cohort selection and follow-up and comparisons to the randomized controlled trial.Am J Ophthalmol. 2021; 224: 43-52
- Feasibility of using real-world data to replicate clinical trial evidence.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e1912869
- Prescribing trends in a glaucoma clinic and adherence to EGS guidelines: a retrospective, non-interventional, single-center UK study.Adv Ther. 2017; 34: 2033-2042
- Risk and treatment effect heterogeneity: re-analysis of individual participant data from 32 large clinical trials.Int J Epidemiol. 2016; 45: 2075-2088
- The Ahmed versus Baerveldt study: design, baseline patient characteristics, and intraoperative complications.Ophthalmology. 2011; 118: 2172-2179
- Five-year pooled data analysis of the Ahmed Baerveldt comparison study and the Ahmed versus Baerveldt study.Am J Ophthalmol. 2017; 176: 118-126
- Outcomes disparities between black and white populations in the surgical management of glaucoma.Semin Ophthalmol. 2016; 31: 385-393
- Ahmed glaucoma valve implant vs trabeculectomy in the surgical treatment of glaucoma: a randomized clinical trial.Am J Ophthalmol. 2000; 130: 267-273
- Early results of suprachoroidal drainage tube implantation for the surgical treatment of glaucoma.J Glaucoma. 2011; 20: 307-314
- Reasons for risk adjustment.(editor)in: Iezzoni LI Risk Adjustment for Measuring Health Care Outcomes. 3rd edition. Health Administration Press, Chicago, IL2003: 1-15
- Real-world evidence—what is it and what can it tell us?.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2293-2297
- Real-world outcomes of selective laser trabeculoplasty in the united kingdom.Ophthalmology. 2020; 127: 748-757
- Budenz DL on behalf of Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study Group. Three-year follow-up of the tube versus trabeculectomy study.Am J Ophthalmol. 2009; 148: 670-684
- Comparing treatment outcomes from the TVT and PTVT Studies.Ophthalmology. 2021; 128: 324-326
- RiGOR: a prospective observational study comparing the effectiveness of treatment strategies for open-angle glaucoma.J Comp Eff Res. 2016; 5: 65-78
- A twenty-year follow-up study of trabeculectomy: risk factors and outcomes.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 694-702
- Head-to-head drug comparisons in multiple sclerosis: urgent action needed.Neurology. 2019; 93: 793-809
Supplemental Material available at AJO.com.