- •Vision improved significantly faster in the flap group in the first 6 months.
- •Less foveal gliosis was noted in the flap group at month 1.
- •More external limiting membrane was restored in the flap group at month 3.
- •More interdigitation zone was restored in the flap group at months 3, 6, and 12.
- •A single-layer inverted flap should be considered in macular holes ≤400 µm.
- The visual performance and metamorphopsia of patients with macular holes.Arch Ophthalmol. 2000; 118: 41-46
- Long-term follow-up of unoperated macular holes.Ophthalmology. 2001; 108: 1150-1155
- Vitreous surgery for idiopathic macular holes.Arch Ophthalmol. 1991; 109: 654-659
- Removal of the internal limiting membrane in macular holes. Clinical and morphological findings. Article in German.Ophthalmologe. 1997; 94: 545-551
- Vitrectomy with internal limiting membrane peeling versus no peeling for idiopathic full-thickness macular hole.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 649-655
- The International Vitreomacular Traction Study Group classification of vitreomacular adhesion, traction, and macular hole.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 2611-2619
- Factors affecting anatomical and visual outcome after macular hole surgery: findings from a large prospective UK cohort.Eye (Lond). 2021; 35: 316-325
- Inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique versus internal limiting membrane peeling for large macular holes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Ophthalmic Res. 2021; 64: 713-722https://doi.org/10.1159/000515283
- Inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique for large macular holes.Ophthalmology. 2010; 117: 2018-2025
- Inverted ILM flap, free ILM flap and conventional ILM peeling for large macular holes.Int J Retina Vitreous. 2018; 4: 8
- Comparative efficacy evaluation of inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique and internal limiting membrane peeling in large macular holes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Ophthalmol. 2020; 20: 14
- Inverted ILM flap technique versus conventional ILM peeling for idiopathic large macular holes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0236431
- Nasal or temporal internal limiting membrane flap assisted by sub-perfluorocarbon viscoelastic injection for macular hole repair.Am J Ophthalmol. 2021; 223: 296-305
- Results of macular hole surgery: evaluation based on the International Vitreomacular Traction Study classification.Retina. 2018; 38: 900-906
- Sub-perfluoro-n-octane injection of ocular viscoelastic device assisted inverted internal limiting membrane flap for macular hole retinal detachment surgery: a novel technique.BMC Ophthalmology. 2020; 20: 116
- Blood-assisted internal limiting membrane peeling for macular hole repair.Ophthalmology. 2009; 116: 1525-1530
- Ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography of surgically closed macular holes.Arch Ophthalmol. 2006; 124: 827-836
- Outcomes of outpatient fluid-gas exchange for open macular hole after vitrectomy.Am J Ophthalmol. 2013; 156 (326-333.e321)
- The role of inverted internal limiting membrane flap in macular hole closure.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017; 58: 4847-4855
- Role of growth factors and internal limiting membrane constituents in Müller cell migration.Exp Eye Res. 2021; 202108352
- The magnitude of the bubble buoyant pressure: Implications for macular hole surgery.Retina. 1998; 18 ([author reply: 86-88]): 84-86
- New insights into the pathoanatomy of macular holes based on features of optical coherence tomography.Surv Ophthalmol. 2017; 62: 506-521
- Müller glia provide essential tensile strength to the developing retina.J Cell Biol. 2015; 210: 1075-1083
- Spontaneous closure of small full-thickness macular holes: presumed role of Müller cells.Acta Ophthalmol. 2020; 98: e447-e456
- Glia of the human retina.Glia. 2020; 68: 768-796
- Long-term reconstruction of foveal microstructure and visual acuity after idiopathic macular hole repair: three-year follow-up study.Br J Ophthalmol. 2019; 103: 238-244
- Internal limiting membrane peeling versus inverted flap technique for treatment of full-thickness macular holes: a comparative study in a large series of patients.Retina. 2018; 38: S73-S78
- Best surgical technique and outcomes for large macular holes: retrospective multicentre study in Japan.Acta Ophthalmol. 2018; 96: e904-e910
- Effect of inverted internal limiting membrane flap on closure rate, postoperative visual acuity, and restoration of outer retinal layers in primary idiopathic macular hole surgery.Retina. 2020; 40: 1955-1963
- Relationship between macular hole size and the potential benefit of internal limiting membrane peeling.Br J Ophthalmol. 2006; 90: 1239-1241
- The Manchester large macular hole study: is it time to reclassify large macular holes?.Am J Ophthalmol. 2018; 195: 36-42
- Functional and morphological outcomes of the inverted internal limiting membrane flap technique in small and medium sized macular holes <400 µm.Retina. 2021; 41: 2073-2078https://doi.org/10.1097/IAE.0000000000003160
Supplemental Material available at AJO.com.